MARMON-HERRINGTON MARK IV, IVF
Second World War Historical Armored Vehicle it was used mostly and became famous in Midle East. There were two versions of the Mark IV,. these were the Mark IV itself and the Mark IVF.
The Mark IV design was a rear engine vehicle of unique construction. Instead of using a chassis, the automotive components were attached directly to the all-welded armour hull. The vehicle mounted a 2 pdr on a field-type mounting instead of a tank mounting. A .30 Browning MG was on a "coupled" mounting with the 2 pdr. The turret didn't have a mantlet but rather the weapons fired through slots in the turret face. Another .30 Browning MG was mounted on the turret roof on an AA mounting. A total of 936 Mark IV were built commencing in 1943.
The Mark IVF was developed because of shortages of M-H automotive component In the Mark IVF, the automotive components from the Canadian Ford F60L 4 wheel drive 3 ton lorry chassis were used. Apparently, the automotive components were stripped from F60L that were diverted to South Africa from British War Office orders destined for the Middle East. These were then directly mounted on the armour chassis as in the Mark IVF.The components on the F60L were almost identical to the M-H components. The basic design and armament for the Mark IVF is the same as the Mark IV. A total of 1,180 Mark IVF were made.
As can be seen, it is highly debatable whether to treat the Mark IV and the Mark IVF as one version or two separate versions.
After war was used by Hellenic Army until 1970. No missing parts, excellent condition. Special Item for collectors.
- The Encyclopedia of Tanks and Armored Fighting Vehicles - The Comprehensive Guide to Over 900 Armored Fighting Vehicles From 1915 to the Present Day, General Editor: Christopher F. Foss, 2002
- The Encyclopedia of Weapons of World War II, Chris Bishop, 1998
- Jane ┤s World War II Tanks and Fighting Vehicles The Complete Guide, Leland Ness 2002